Maybe you are a Green supporter or activist, or maybe you randomly came across our purple slogan “Fight for a feminist Europe” on social media. You probably thought “great, another call for costless digital activism, let me change my Facebook profile picture and send a few funny Insta stories!”
But there is a world of action behind this slogan. The Greens have a long-standing track record of actually fighting for a feminist Europe. We thought International Women’s Day is the perfect opportunity to share some of our work.
With the current pace of achieving gender equality in Europe, it would still take 70 years to reach equal pay, 40 years until domestic work is equally shared and 20 years to achieve equal representation in politics. We are not willing to wait that long!
Let us quickly drive you through our demands and actions. We’ll let you judge if we are worthy of that new Facebook frame afterwards:
- We want the right to abortion to be included in the EU’s Charter of Fundamental Rights.
- We want to guarantee free and accessible, good-quality and safe sexual and reproductive health care and services for all.
- We believe Europe needs to fight gender-based violence.
- We are determined to secure equal pay for equal work and a more gender-balanced composition of power structures
- We also want all policies and services to recognise the true diversity of Europeans and to tackle and prevent all forms of discrimination and violence, including LGBTIQ*.
- We consider that no fair energy transition will happen without gender justice
- We fight for fiscal policy to be included as a tool for gender equality
As European Greens, we don’t only talk the talk, we also walk the walk. We are proud to be the most gender-balanced group in the European Parliament and the only one with a majority of women.
Ver esta publicación en Instagram
For years we have been calling for an EU strategy on gender equality. We’re glad the European Commission will finally propose one. However, we hope you’ll remain vigilant as we are: if the EU promises big, it must be held accountable on its promises; if it offers a cosmetic plan, we need to call it out!
If you are joining the fight for a feminist Europe, join us on our social media, and be proud to let the world know how you fight!