Welcome to Tampere!
- Keskustori, the central square is an example of the early 1900s Jugend style, a northern version of Art Nouveau. Also the location of the Old City Hall, where the City reception wil be held on Saturday evening.
- Pyynikin näkötorni, Munkkikahvila (Näkötornintie 20) The Pyynikki observation tower is located on top of the world's largest esker (gravel ridge). The famous doughnut cafe at the ground level has been running as a family business for over 30 years. There is also another famous cafeteria with the same concept called Munkkikahvila (doughnut cafe) in Keskustori. https://www.munkkikahvila.net Open Mon - sun 9 am to 8 pm
- Tallipiha (Kuninkaankatu 4), http://tallipiha.fi The historic Tallipiha, the old Finlayson stable yards, is a free-of-charge sight with a fascinating cafe, chocolate and handicraft shops and various events.
Shops: Open Fri 11 am to 6 pm, Sat-Sun 11 am to 4 pm.
Café: Open Mon-Sat 9 am to 8 pm. Open Sun 10 am to 8 pm.
- Tampereen Tuomiokirkko, Tampere Cathedral (Tuomiokirkonkatu 3b), https://tampereenseurakunnat.fi/kirkko_tampereella/kirkot_ja_muut_tilat/kirkot/tuomiokirkko
Tampere Cathedral is considered to be the chief monument of Finnish national romantic architectural style as well as a magnificent specimen of the skills of builders and craftsmen of the time. The artwork is very unique, featuring highly symbolic frescoes and glass windows.
Open every day 11 - 15
- Finlayson Area, https://www.finlaysoninalue.fi
Until the 1920s, the Finlayson area was the biggest industrial district in the Nordic Countries. Nowadays the area is a modern and versatile center, housing restaurants, cafés, businesses, and cultural services, including a multiplex cinema. The Finlayson Church, the Finlayson Palace and Tallipiha Stable Yards are located nearby.
- Kauppahalli, Tampere Market hall, https://tampereenkauppahalli.fi Tampere Market Hall. With its 40 vendors, the Market Hall offers everything from fresh fish and produce to cheese, pastries and local delicacies.
Open Mon-Fri 8-18, Sat 8-16
- Muumimuseo (Yliopistonkatu 55), https://muumimuseo.fi
The world’s only Moomin Museum. located at Tampere Hall, the venue of the EGP council. Entrance fee 10 euros with your conference badge! (Normally 12 euros)
Open tue-wed 9-17, tue-fri 9-19, sat-sun 10 – 17
- Lenin Museum (Hämeenpuisto 28), http://lenin.fi
Mon - Sun 11-18 Lenin Museum, the only one in the European countries, takes visitors on a fascinating journey to the history that Finland and Russia share. Prior to the revolution in Russia, Lenin visited Tampere in 1905, planning the revolution that opened a window for the independence of Finland.
Open Tuesday - Sunday 11 - 17
- Vakoilumuseo, the Spy Museum (Satakunnankatu 18), https://www.vakoilumuseo.fi/
The first Spy Museum in the world. Located in the Finlayson area. Open Mon - Sun 12-18
- Työväenmuseo Werstas (Väinö Linnan aukio 8, Finlaysonin alue), werstas.fi
The Finnish Labour Museum. Located in the Finlayson area. Open Tue-Sun 11-18
- Vapriikki museum centre (Alaverstaanraitti 5), http://vapriikki.fi
Vapriikki is a museum centre that offers things to see and do for the whole family. There are about a dozen exhibitions each year with varied themes including history, technology and natural sciences. Vapriikki houses many smaller museums such as the Finnish Ice-Hockey museum, the Tampere natural history museum etc. Open Tue—sun 10–18
Also the location of the Saturday party after the city reception.
- Sara Hildenin taidemuseo (Laiturikatu 13, Särkänniemi), https://www.tampere.fi/sarahilden/index.html
The Sara Hildén Art Museum is the permanent home of the collection of modern art, Finnish and foreign, owned by the Sara Hildén Foundation. Open 10–18
- Tampereen Taidemuseo (Puutarhakatu 34), https://www.tampereentaidemuseo.fi/en/index.html Tampere Art Museum presents art-historical themes and phenomena related to Finnish and international contemporary art.
Open Tue-Thu 9am-5pm, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat-Sun 10am-6pm
Please note that swimwear is required in mixed saunas.
- Kuuma is bang in the middle of the city (Laukontori 21), https://saunaravintolakuuma.fi
Kuuma is located in a central spot in the heart of Tampere, by the Laukontori market square and boat quay, and it boasts a café-restaurant, a big two-storey terrace and two saunas, open all year round. From the sauna heat, you only need to take a couple of steps to plunge into the refreshing waters of the Pyhäjärvi lake, in Kuuma’s own pool area. Mixed sauna, swimming costumes and towels available for hire.
EGP deal: with code word “GREEN”, you get 5 euros off the regular price during the council weekend! Discounted price 10€.
- Rajaportin sauna (Pispalan valtatie 9), http://www.rajaportinsauna.fi
Open Mon, Wed 18 - 22, Fri 15 - 21, Sat 14 -22
The oldest public sauna in Finland, still operating actively in a building over a hundred years old. Old-school and idyllic, run by an association that saved the sauna from demolition some 20 years ago. Often voted as the best public sauna. Separate saunas for men and women.
Adults 10 €.
- Rauhaniemen kansankylpylä (Rauhaniementie 24), https://www.rauhaniemi.net/
Public sauna with a possibility to swim in the lake next to the sauna.
Open Mon, Wed, Thu 15-20, Tue, Fri 15-20:30, Sat, Sun 13-20
- Kauppakeskus Ratina (Vuolteenkatu 1), https://www.ratina.fi
Ratina, the largest shopping centre in Tampere, is an urban meeting place in the heart of the city. We offer an inviting combination of fashion, delicious food, groceries, decoration and beauty and health services.
Open Mon-Sat 07-21, Sun 10-21
- Kauppakeskus Koskikeskus (Hatanpäänvaltatie 1), https://www.koskikeskus.fi
Shops open mon-fri 10.00-20.00, sat 10.00-18.00, sun 12.00-18.00
- Tullintori (Tullikatu 6), https://tullintori.fi
Tullintori shopping centre is located in the heart of Tampere, behind the railway station. Tullintori is home to a wide range of specialty stores offering fashion, beauty, and experiences as well as numerous cafes and restaurants for all tastes. In Tullintori you can also find the first climbing spot Irti Maasta (“Off Ground”) set in a shopping centre in the Nordic countries!
Shops open Mon-Fri 10-20, Sat 10-18, Sun 12-18
- Käsityökortteli (Kehräsaari), https://kasityokortteli.fi/kehrasaaren_kauppa/
A yard full of small shops, many featuring hand-made souvenirs and accessories.
Open Mon-Fri 11.00-18.00 sat 11.00 - 16.00.
- PikkuPutiikit (Kehräsaari), http://www.pikkuputiikit.fi
Charming little shop full of Finnish handicrafts in an idyllic old factory setting. Handmade Finnish design by: Punainen RUUKKU, moumou DESIGN, INTOA design, Tikkerperi, Minkamainen, Arja Aalto Design, Hembula Design and many more…
Open Mon-Fri 10-18 Sat 10-16
Ateljeekatu (Kehräsaari), https://ateljeekatu.fi, crafts, art, accessories, jewerly, prints
Open Mon-Fri klo 11-18, Sat klo 11-16
- PihkaCollection (Kehräsaari), https://www.pihkacollection.fi/en/
PIHKA designs and manufactures bags and shoes from naturally breathing, durable leather. The items can also be customized according to your own wishes. Open Tue-Fri 11-18, Sat 11-15, Mon and Sun Closed
- Ruohonjuuri, Hämeenkatu 15, www.ruohonjuuri.fi
Ruohonjuuri offer their clients a diverse range of high quality, environmentally responsible, organic, and fair trade products. Open Mon- Fri 10-20, Sat 10-18, Sun 12-17
- Taito Shop Pirkanmaa, Hatanpään valtatie 4, https://taitoshop.fi/myymalat/pirkanmaa/
Taito shop is a store of wonderful items. The store offers a wide range of Finnish handmade and design products for everyday and festive occasions, home and gifts. There is also wide selection of clothing, accessories, jewelry and several souvenirs from Tampere and Finland. Open Mon-Fri 10-18, sat 10-15
FOOD AND DRINK
- Munkkikahvila Keskustori, Doughnut cafe https://www.munkkikahvila.net/keskustori
At Keskustori/Central Square
Open Mon-Fri 7:30-20:00, Sat 9-20, Sun and public holidays 10-19
- Plevna brewery and restaurant (Finlayson), https://www.plevna.fi/english/
Plevna was established in 1994, in the old Finlayson cotton mills, and it is the only genuine brewery pub in Tampere, producing a vast selection of beers made on the premises. In Plevna you can enjoy a variety of pure, flavoursome beer from our brewery, delicious food, unique surroundings, and, of course, the well-known jovial company of Tampere.
Open Mon 11-23, Tue-Thu 11-24, Fri-Sat 11-02, Sun 12-22
- Gastropub Nordic (Otavalankatu 3), https://www.gastropubnordic.fi
The very Best of Nordic food and drink in the heart of Tampere!
The bar open Sun-Fri 15.00-2.00, Sat 14.00-2.00
Kitchen open Mon-Thu 16.00-24.00, Sat 14.00-24.00, Fri and Sun 15.00-24.00
- Viking restaurant Harald (Hämeenkatu 23), https://www.ravintolaharald.fi/en/start/
Good food and drinks, viking village in the center of Tampere.
Open Mon-Thu 11-23, Fri 11-24, Sat 12-24, Sun 15-22
- Dabbal (Yliopistonkatu 44), https://www.laplandhotels.com/EN/urban-hotels/tampere/lapland-hotels-tampere/restaurant-dabbal-kitchen-bar.html
Lapland-inspired food at the Lapland hotel near the EGP conference venue
- Sasor (Yliopistonkatu 50)
Scandinavian cuisine and good wines near the EGP conference venue
- Ravintola Telakka (Tullikamarin aukio 3), http://www.telakka.eu
Restaurant Telakka. A pub/restaurant that often has cultural programme during the evenings
Restaurant open Mon-Tue 11.00-01.00, Wed-Thu 11.00-02.00, Fri 11.00-03.00, Sat 12.00-03.00, Sun 12.00-01.00
Kitchen open Mon- Fri 11.00 - 21.45, Sat 12.00 - 21.45, Sun12.00 - 19.45
- Kumma junk bar & lounge (Aleksanterinkatu 20), https://www.ravintolakumma.fi
Urban living room in the heart of Tampere.
Open Tue – Thu 16-01 Fri 15-02 ja Sat 12-02
Kitchen open Tue - Thu 16 -22, Fri 15-22, Sat 12-22
Sun and Mon kitchen closed
- Moro sky bar at the Torni hotel (Ratapihankatu 43), https://www.raflaamo.fi/fi/tampere/moro-sky-bar
Moro Sky Bar is an astonishing sky bar with a tremendous view over the city of Tampere. Moro Sky Bar is a classy, yet laid-back cocktail bar on the top of the tallest hotel of Finland. Sky Bar is located on the 25th floor of Solo Sokos Hotel Torni Tampere.
Open Mon-Tue 11-24, Wed-Sat 11-02, Sun 11-24
http://www.gopal.fi/eng/index.html Famous vegetarian restaurant founded in 1997. Indian style vegetarian and vegan buffet. Two locations:
Ravintola Gopal, Ilmarinkatu 16, Open Mon-Fri 11-17, Sat 12-16, Sun 12-17
Gopal Cafe Kuninkaankatu 15, Open Mon-Fri 11-18, Sat 11.30 -18
Tuomiokirkonkatu 21 Open Mon-Fri 10.30 - 20.00, Sat 11 -20, Sun 12 - 18
Kuninkaankatu 17 Open Mon-Fri 10.30 - 21.00, Sat 11 - 21, Sun 12 - 21
Tampere’s first meze restaurant, all vegetarian food
OTHER INTERESTING STUFF
- Cat cafe Purnauskis (Aaltosenkatu 31 - 33), Purnauskis
Purnauskis is the first cat cafe in Finland. Open Tuesday - Friday 12-19, Sat 11-18, entry 5 €
- 3D Crush cafe (Itsenäisyydenkatu 10), https://www.3dcrush.fi/fi/etusivu/
The first 3D printout cafe -and they have bunnies, too!
- Save File -Pelaajan olohuone (Aleksis Kiven katu 24), https://www.savefile.fi
Esports Bar & Lounge
Mon Closed, Tue 15-11, Wed-Sat 15-02, Sun 15-11
- Pääkirjasto Metso (Pirkankatu 2), Main library Metso https://www.tampere.fi/kulttuuri-ja-vapaa-aika/kirjastot/aukiolot-ja-yhteystiedot/paakirjasto-metso.html
Open Monday - Friday 9-20, Sat 10 - 16, Sun 11 - 17
- Kaijakka, One of the oldest karaoke bars in Tampere.
- Jack the Rooster, Best self service karaoke in Tampere
Satakunnankatu 13 B
Mon-Tue 16-02 (04), fri 16-04, sat-sun 13-04 Kitchen open Mon-Sun -23
- Bar Ihku, Hämeenkatu 23
The venue for Friday’s youth party
Pub Mon-Tue 20-04, Wed-Sun 18-04,
Kitchen Wed-Tue and Sun 18-24, Fri-Sat 18-02, Karaoke Mon-Sun 21-05, Nightclub Fri-Sat 23-04
- Ruby & fellas, Hämeenkatu 15, Irish pub, food and karaoke.
Open Thu 16-02, Fri 16-03, Sat 14-03, Sun 16-00, Kitchen every day til 22
- Pyynikin Brewhouse, https://www.ravintola.fi/en/ravintola/pyynikin-brewhouse/
A local brewhouse with award-winning beers and a good selection. There are barrels full of Pyynikki’s new products and almost 20 draught beers as well as a bunch of different flavours in the bottle. The list also includes ciders, long drinks, and to top it all up, the restaurant’s own beers, brewed on-site. Naturally, the menu is a perfect match. Beer plays a strong role in the cooking and as the accompaniment.
Open Mon-Tue 16–00 (kitchen 16–22), Wed-Thu 16-00 (kitchen 16-23),
Fri 13–02 (kitchen 13–23), Sat 12-02 (kitchen 12–23), Sun 13–22 (kitchen 13–21)