At the local level, Zeleni Srbije's local candidates won seats in four Serbian cities – Boljevac, Cacak, Obranovac and Pozega, and are participating in local councils in Pancevo and Pozarevac, having Deputy Mayor responsibilities.
The Serbian Green Party is celebrating its entry into the national parliament of their party president, Mr Ivan Karic, as the party's first MP. As we reported earlier in the month, the Serbian Greens participated in the 'Choice for a Better Life' Coalition, which scored 22.3% of votes and won 67 seats in the Parliament. As President of Zeleni Srbije, Mr Karic became the first Green MP in Serbia and was sworn with other MPs in the Parliament on May 31. As negotiations among parties and coalitions are still ongoing, it is undefined who will form the new government. However, it is most likely that the former president Boris Tadic will succeed in securing a majority in the Parliament to support the cabinet he will propose. The Socialist Party of Serbia coalition will most likely be once again partners in the new government.
As the first Green MP in Serbia, Mr Ivan Karic will participate in the central event marking the Global Wind Day, on June 15, 2012 in Belgrade, together with the Danish Ambassador to Serbia and representatives of Belgrade University.
At the local level, Zeleni Srbije's local candidates won seats in four Serbian cities – Boljevac, Cacak, Obranovac and Pozega, and are participating in local councils in Pancevo and Pozarevac, having Deputy Mayor responsibilities. On average, based on the post-election analysis and results from the towns where Zeleni Srbije participated individually in the elections (Irig, Sremski Karlovci and Ub), the party scored around three percent Serbia-wide.
Until the new government is formed, Zeleni Srbije plans to engage in the following activities:
• Review the election results Serbiawide and use this to reinforce and set foundations for further development of the party;
• Establish sustainable organisation networks and capacity building processes
• Assess the needs of the newly elected officials, party managers and active members and define an action plan to complete the process of party development;
• Develop and implement a feasible parliamentary strategy with the overall goal of increasing the positive public perception of Zeleni Srbije and their activities through to 2016.
• Identification of several issues of importance and developing key messages;
• Communicating the messages through the first green Member of Serbian Parliament;
• Create policy support teams, consisting of experts for each specific issue, in order to monitor, collect and process data of importance and to provide briefings to MP;
• Foster the creation of a media friendly environment towards green issues and related Zeleni Srbije's activities by developing and implementing a new communication strategy.