Session: End Age discrimination
organised by European Network of Green Seniors
When: Friday, 10 May 2013, 14.00-15.30
Where: NH Eurobuilding Hotel, Calle Padre Damián 23, Madrid (Room Monaco)
All generations should live together in solidarity and make use of the existing potential of the seniors for our society. Age discrimination has a destructive effect on society. It can influence the opinion over generations. In the worst case, seniors will be seen as a group of people that only cause problems to our society. This can occur in all areas of life: friends, leisure, work, family, health, public life and finances. Therefore any form of age discrimination has to be opposed.
Age Discrimination, legislation and Green proposals
The Anti-Discrimination Act will help to eliminate the disadvantages of the older people in the work area, access to goods and services, in education and in health. It offers them the legal right to defend themselves against some forms of age discrimination with the claim for damages for pain and suffering. We want that this claim will be extended to all forms of age discrimination.
Questions that will be discussed:
- What kind of age (young and old) discrimination occurs in your country?
- Why is age discrimination a social problem?
- Disadvantages arising from old age discrimination?
- How can people react on discrimination - individually and through legislation?
- What can green policy do in order to combat efficiently age discrimination at the European level?