Session organised by Global Greens at the EGP Council, Karlstad, 24 November , 13:30 - 15:15
The purpose of this session is to build the organisational strategy and means in the Global Greens and member parties to increase the Green votes among both your fellow nationals living abroad (expats) and the immigrants in our countries. Our challenge & opportunity is to work together as a Global Greens!
At the Greens 2017 congress a session on “Mobilising your Green Expats” was held in which participants expressed interest to develop more Green Party collaboration to gain more Green votes from each others’ nationals living abroad.
Some countries have granted expats voting rights and new forms of representation, and, as we are a global political movement, we think that Green parties worldwide could especially benefit by more consciously including expats in our campaigns and making use of their close ties to more than one country. Being expats ourselves, we decided to take some first steps, seeking your feedback and support for creating an action plan together!
- Keli Yen, Global Greens Convener
- David Westsson, Sweden
- Timur Delahaye, Sweden
- Björn Stockhausen, Germany
- Experiences and research from France, Sweden and Germany: Why capturing the expat vote matters & How some parties do it.
- Include findings from questionnaire distributed to a selection of Green Parties
Part 2: Brainstorming on How to capture the expat vote (in groups)
Expats living in your country
- What does your party currently do to reach out to expats?
- What opportunities do you see for your GP to capture the vote of immigrants in your country both for your own party and for their home Green parties?
Your Nationals living abroad
Brainstorm how could your party could identify, organise & campaign to your nationals living abroad?
What organisational structures and services would be needed in the party, federation and GGs to enable optimal mobilisation of the expat vote?
- Questionnaire available for online submission before the Council.
- Examples of expat groups abroad: