The interests of disabled people have since the evolvement of the international movement to promote disability rights, been carried most credibly by Green parties, of all the different political families.
However, up until now there has not been any kind of structured framework on a European, not to mention global level to bring together Green ideas and political actors on the concerns of disabled people.
We want to form a Green European network for disability issues. The purpose of the network is to:
1) Raise awareness among European Greens about disability issues.
2) Emphasize that disability rights are human rights, which are manifested by the UN in the Convention of Rights of People of Disabilities.
3) Bring together European Greens to change knowledge on policies regarding rights of disabled people in different European countries.
4) Outline political standpoints taken by EGP´s member parties on disability issues.
5) Get an overview of already existing working groups, member organisations and spokesperson positions dedicated to disability issues among member parties of the EGP.
6) Promote full participation of disabled people in the society, to enable equal citizenship of all throughout Europe.
In order to get things underway, we will organize an unofficial meeting / workshop on the topic at the 25. EGP council in Glasgow between 2nd and 4th of December 2016.
At the meeting we will do some initial capacity building by putting up an e-mail list consisting of the participants and other interested delegates.
One aim of the meeting is also to do preparatory planning for the proposed parallel session on the subject at the Global Greens congress in Liverpool in 2017.