A hundred years ago the osmanian rule in Thessaloniki came to an end. The city became part of the hellenic republic, hence a multicultural urban community had to be integrated into a developing nation state. This situation is and has always been a challenge for the citizens of Thessaloniki.
Today Greece is facing the impact of an enormous economic, social and political crisis, which also effects all areas of Thessaloniki. Shops are being closed, unemployment is on the rise, poverty is spreading. Migration towards Greece from other crisis regions is more and more seen as problematic and causes objection.
How did this formerly multicultural city, open to the sea and to the world, develop in the last 100 years, and where is it standing now? Which measures must be taken in order for Thessaloniki to raise again to a citizen-friendly, open and green livable and lovable city?
At this conference we want to discuss experiences and gather ideas from other European cities and shape a vision of Thessaloniki as a cosmopolitan green city for its citizens.
• “Active Citizens – Ecology in action” - Initiative in the Municipality of Thessaloniki
• Greens in Big Cities (GBC)
• “Ecologists Greens” Local Government Group, Greece
in cooperation with
• Heinrich Boell Foundation, Office Greece
• Green Institute, Greece
Translation will be provided: Greek/English (Thursday, Friday), German (only Thursday)
Thursday, June 28, 2012
18:00 Conference welcome
• Christos Matis, City Councillor “Active Citizens – Ecology in action”, Thessaloniki
• Ralf Fücks, Co-Head Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Berlin
• Kostas Loukeris, President Green Institute, Greece
• Monika Vana, Greens in Big Cities (GBC)
• Kostas Papakostantinou, “Ecologists Greens” Local Government Group
Jannis Boutaris, Mayor of Thessaloniki
19:00 Roundtable discussion
Visions and strategies for shaping green urban futures
• Ioanna Kontouli, Co-Chair Ecologists Greens Electoral Campaign 2012, Athens
• Viola von Cramon, Member of the German Bundestag, Alliance '90/The Greens, Berlin
• Ralf Fücks, Co-Head, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Berlin
Moderation: Christos Matis, Active Citizens – Ecology in action”, Thessaloniki
21:00 Reception (Heinrich Boell Foundation, invitation only)
Friday, June 29, 2012
9:30 Welcome and moderation: Olga Drossou, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung Greece, Thessaloniki
Multicultural heritage and politics of inclusion
• Odette Baron-Vassar, Lecturer contemporary History, University of Athens
• Paul Lappalainen, European Coalition of Cities against Racism, Stockholm Panel discussion
• Gerhard Jordan, Local Councillor, Vienna
• Tilda Carasso-Kawassiadi, Local Councillor, Thessaloniki
• Lejla Soma-Krupalija, City Councillor, Sarajevo
• Ágnes Somfai, City Councillor, Budapest
Moderator: Jannis Papanagou, “Active Citizens – Ecology in action”, Thessaloniki
12:00 Lunch break
13:00 Urban development - Pathways to a sustainable green city
• Konstantinos Zervas, Deputy Mayor of Environment, Life Quality and Free Spaces of Thessaloniki
• Christos Doulkeridis, Member of Brussels Government, Brussels (tbc)
• Philippos Dragoumis, City Councillor, Athens
• Outi Silfverberg, City Councillor, Helsinki
• Oliver Schrouffeneger, former City Councillor, Berlin
• Mar Garcias, IC-V group, City Council of Barcelona
Moderator: Monika Vana, City Councillor, Vienna
15:30 End of conference
18:30 – 21:00 City Tour
The European Ideas Lab aims at bringing together changemakers from all over Europe. Everyday activists, civil society organisations, citizens’ movements, artists, ecopreneurs and Green innovators, we come from different backgrounds but who share the same objective: bringing a positive change in society. Are you a changemaker in your country? Or are you a member of a Green party? Come and join!
Thank you for joining us in Karlstad, one of Sweden’s Greenest cities, for the 27th Council Meeting of the European Greens. The event was a great success, and we look forward to seeing you in Antwerp, Belgium, for the 28th Council Meeting taking place in May 2018. In the meantime, check out the adopted documents and re-live the Council by watching the video recordings!