Resolution accepted at the EGP Council meeting, Brussels, Belgium, March 29, 2009
The Council therefore calls upon the EGP Committee to organise the issues to which the EGP should devote its energy and resources during the next mandate and beyond; the desired organisational development of the EGP, concerning structures such as the Committee and staff, Green Foundation, working groups, member parties and observers, and individual supporters; and the nature of the relationships and cooperation between the parties mentioned above.
-considering the end of the term of the present Committee is near and a new Committee will start afresh;
-noting that this term has seen a lot of positive developments and that there are lessons to be learned for the future;
-observing that more and more parties and individual greens are becoming active within the EGP and the attendance of councils is continuously increasing;
-recognizing the fruitful and motivating results of the working groups on Migration, Social Policy and Green Economy;
-appreciating the experience of the inspiring Summer University in Frankfurt a/d Oder;
-knowing that the European Green Party is on the eve of a Common Campaign, which will entail stronger cooperation and thus teach us new lessons;
-expecting closer integration of individual supporters in the EGP in the near future;
-referring to the following statement in the Action Plan 2009: ‘The Autumn Council will be dedicated mainly to evaluating the activity of the EGP during the last three years including the common European election campaign and to fixing the priorities for the next years. The present Committee will have finished its mandate and a new one has to be elected. At the same time the present committee will present a proposition for the new committee on how to improve the work of the EGP mainly concerning the establishment of permanent thematic working groups.’
-Concludes the time is ripe to draw conclusions for the future.
The Council therefore calls upon the EGP Committee to:
- organise an all-inclusive process, involving at least the Green Group, member parties, individual Greens and present EGP committee, to develop this proposition on the future of the EGP at the Fall Council;
- start this process with a discussion paper sent well in advance based on the experiences of this expiring term;
- address in the paper and the subsequent discussion at least
1.the issues to which the EGP should devote its energy and resources during the next mandate and beyond;
2. the desired organisational development of the EGP, concerning structures such as the Committee and staff, Green Foundation, working groups, member parties and observers, and individual supporters;
3. and the nature of the relationships and cooperation between the parties mentioned above;
- conclude this process at the start of the new mandate with a common view on the short and medium term future of the EGP.
Download the complete collection of resolutions from the 2009 Spring Council in PDF format here...