Resolution adopted at the EGP Council, Berlin, 16-18 March 2007 (.pdf)
Proposal on the EGP Priorities
1. Taking into consideration the proposals made by the EGP Committee during the Geneva Council meeting and the additions and modifications proposed during this first discussion on the priorities,
2. Considering that a draft proposal was sent to all the member parties in November 2006 with the request to formulate all the considerations, amendments and modifications considered necessary by them;
3. Noting that the Committee during its meetings in December and February took the opportunity to adapt the proposal integrating the few modifications and changes that had been proposed by the parties;
4. Acknowledging therefore, that the proposal herewith presented has been improved and reflects at this stage the preoccupation of the majority of all those who in one way or another participated in the process of elaboration including representatives from various member parties;
5. Convinced that in order for the EGP to deliver a real contribution it can only focus on a limited number of issues that can be dealt with in depth;
6. Noting that not all the issues require the same type or the same amount of work;
7. Considering that even if the work to be done on the different priorities does not consist of providing the head chapters for a common manifesto or program for the 2009 EP elections it will ease the work when it comes to prepare such a platform in 2008 and it will give the opportunity to prepare EGP-decisions on controversial issues which we need to decide before the 2009 elections.
8. Considering that the various subjects proposed require a differentiated approach. Some member parties and parliamentary groups including the GGEP having already done some substantial work it would be appropriate rather than starting from scratch to assure a compilation of the existing texts and sum up the common positions expressed in them, as well as highlighting the controversial points that emerge;
Therefore the 6th Council of Berlin decides:
1. To entrust the Committee with the establishment of 4 new temporary working groups:
- on Economy;
- on Migration;
- on Climate Change and Energy.
- on Social Policy: including Basic Income
2. To entrust the Committee with the constitution of small expert groups in charge of the preparation of topical texts on these issues:
- Food/Health Security: including our position on GMOs;
3. Finally the committee is entrusted to assure that a compilation of the existing green texts coming from the member parties, the EGP, the Green/EFA Group in the EP, as well as the national MPs on the following two domains is done:
- on Foreign and Security policy &
- on Human Rights.