Parallel session organised by the Green European Foundation during 28th EGP Council in Antwerp, Saturday 19 May 2018, 14.00 - 15.30
In 2017, the Green European Foundation started, with the support of different national partner foundations a transnational project on basic income with the objective to refine the concepts behind UBI and contribute to the Europeanisation of the debate while taking into consideration the huge differences of social security systems across Europe. To this end, GEF formed a basic income expert group with representatives of Spain, Catalonia, Switzerland, Germany, Serbia, Belgium and Greece. In 2018, the project focus lies on the financial concepts and on formulating first ideas for a European pilot project on basic income that can deliver comparable results for different European countries.
During this session, they aim to make the link of those discussions to the broader debate on the future of work and whether basic income can become part of the Green answer to the challenges the labour market is currently facing. At the same time, the session shall serve as an opportunity to exchange on examples and different ideas of Green parties across Europe.
The event will also provide an opportunity to present the results of a planned survey we launched on the state of play of the UBI debate within the different Green parties across Europe as well as in the national public discourses.
Moderators: Ville Ylikahri, GEF Board Member & Susanne Rieger, GEF Co-President
- Wolfgang Strengmann-Kuhn, Member of Parliament, Germany
- Julen Bollain, Member of the Basque Parliament, economist & researcher specialised in unconditional basic income, Spain
- Predrag Momcilovic, Executive Committee Member Federation of Young European Greens, journalist, PhD student on political ecology and degrowth, Serbia
- Irina Studhalter, Local Councillor Lucerne & political campaigner, Switzerland
- Natalie Bennett, politician and journalist, former leader of Green Party of England and Wales, United Kingdom
- Michael Opielka, Director Institute for Social Ecology and professor for social policy at Ernst-Abbe-Hochschule Jena, Germany
You can join our event on Facebook to indicate your interest in the session.